Friday, October 1, 2010

DAY 48 - WASHINGTON D.C.

Korean War Memorial

Inside the Court of Appeal


Two close brothers map it out!

The White House

Pool of Reflecting
Left early this morning - first on the Metro Bus that came right to our RV Park and then 2 Sub-ways into Washington.  As you probably have gathered we don't drive our Rigs right in the heart of the City - I don't think that would be very smart!!   Everything was very clean and no food stands on the street corners - also not a lot of restaurants where we got off the sub-way so needless to say we ended up asking if we could use the washroom at the Court of Appeal (2nd highest court in America)!!    We had to go through security - just to go to the washroom!!  They were very friendly there.   Did quite a bit of walking - saw the White House, The Treasury Board (the same picture that's on the American $10 bill) the Pool of Reflecting, Korean War Memorial, 2nd World War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial and Vietnam War Memorial.    It was a pretty walk down to view these places near the White House and we came across many runners - who we thought might be White House staff exercising.
Then we moved on to the Holocaust Museum - and my oh my what an interesting and sombreing place.   When we left and realized we had been there 4 hours it seemed impossible as the time went by so fast.    To hear stories from survivors and what they went through was just hard to describe.  An incredible place. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Auntie Lil...

    Had a little "catch up" with you all this morning over my peppermint tea!!! Sounds like all is going well...except for Mom's toe :( I pray that it heals quickly and that warm weather prevails for wearing flip flops!!!

    I know what you are saying about the Holocaust Museum. Brad and I spent 8 hours in Yad Vashem in Israel and we could have been there longer. The stories were gripping and gut wrenching...everyone moved in silence...I've never been anywhere like it. Their stories MUST be told and remembered by the generations to come...

    Love to you all!!!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom & Dad ... you have appropriately named this "TRIP OF A LIFETIME" ... I cannot believe all the incredible things you've been able to do!!! Obviously, so much planning has gone in to this ... but how you're going to go back to normal life, I'll never know :-)

    Love Tania

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tracy and Tania for commmenting. I must admit I love getting comments! Yes...Tracy it was an incredible experience visiting the Holocaust Museum - and Tania...I agree...how do I return to normal life??? The drawing card is my family - that will make up for it all.

    ReplyDelete